Most of our time is spent working, and if your relationship with your boss is an awkward one, it will make all those work hours draining. Some people may suggest to just “firm it” out, but that is not the best way to work especially if the aim is to produce high quality work. Producing high quality work, goes hand in hand with our ability to maintain successful relationships, and this includes the relationship with our boss.
Here are some smart tips to help you do so:
- Be a problem solver, not a problem creator. There will always be problems, but the art of coming up with a solution to the problem makes all the difference. If you are presenting a problem to your boss, strive to provide at least one solution for the problem.
- Stay calm, no matter what. When everyone is panicking and worried, hold your cool together and stay grounded. When a person is calm they are able to think more rationally.
- Don’t blame others, but rather hold yourself accountable. “Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.” – Charles R. Swindoll. At the end of the day life is what we make it, so there is no point in putting the blame on others. In fact, just assume the responsibility and act different next time. Accountability is such a rare trait to find nowadays, that employees who demonstrate this can easily become indispensable.
- Set healthy boundaries. It is easy to think that your boss needs all your time, but this is not necessarily the case. It’s all about being productive when you are completing tasks for your boss, because let’s face it; you have other responsibilities in your life; so you cannot be at the disposable of your boss 24/7. Therefore, set healthy boundaries, do put too much on your plate and don’t put too little on your plate.
- Never make excuses. It is easy to make excuses to get off the hook, but strive to be a person of your word and fulfill your commitments.
- Make your boss look good. Some think to make themselves look good they need to put others down, however this is a lie! The best way to make someone else look good is by making yourself look. In practical terms? E.g. delivering high quality tasks makes you look good, your department look good, and consequently your boss looks good.
- Be consistently positive. Discipline yourself to always see the good in every circumstance, a positive person naturally has this aura about them that makes them pleasant to be around.