Finding out one’s purpose is what makes life truly fulfilling; this is because we find the reason as to why we are alive.
The best way to find your purpose is to think about what your experiences, talents and passions are, and how you can leverage these to best serve those around you. From there you will have a clearer understanding of what your purpose is, and the reason for your existence. Everyone has a purpose!
A 2010 study that was published in Applied Psychology showed that people with high levels of well-being – which is encompassed with a sense of purpose, control and certainty that what one is doing is worthwhile. These people tend to live longer. As well as, there are other studies showing when you have a sense of purpose you will have better health outcomes e.g. fewer strokes, heart attacks, better sleep, and a lower risk of developing disabilities.
How does purpose affect one’s career?
A 2016 study published in the Journal of Research and Personality showed that people who feel a sense of purpose tend to make more money than people who feel as though their work lacks meaning. This implies that – the more purpose you have, the more money you’ll have the potential to earn. However, the journey to finding one’s purpose is not a smooth sailing one, it requires a substantial amount of self-reflection, listening to others, and discovering where your passions lie.
7 Ways to discover your purpose:
- Donate your time, money or talent- to better help you understand your purpose in serving others. Researchers at Floride State University identified that happiness and meaningfulness had similarities but were different. Happiness was associated with being a taker before a giver, however meaningfulness was associated with being a giver than a taker. Being a “giver” was linked to more purposeful living.
- Listen to feedback. Other people may be able to give you feedback regarding things that you are good at. Infact, you may already be displaying signs of what your passions and purpose, perhaps you cannot yet see it; but those around you can.
- Surround yourself with positive people. We become the company that we keep. When we surround ourselves with positive people, we can draw inspiration from them.
- Start conversations with new people. Talking to people outside of your social circle can open your eyes to activities, causes and career opportunities that you perhaps didn’t know was avaliable.
- Explore your interests.
- Consider topic issues that intrigue you.
- Discover what you love to do.
Quotes on Purpose:
- “There is no greater gift you can give or recieve than to honour your calling. It’s why you were born. And how you become most truly alive.” – Oprah Winfrey
- “Maybe you’ve been assigned this mountain to show others it can be moved.”
- “If you can’t figure out your purpose, figure out your passion. For your passion will lead you right into your purpose.”
- “If you hang out with chickens, you’re going to cluck and if you hang out with eagles, you’re going to fly.”
- “The purpose of life is a life of purpose.”
- “The two most important days in life are the day you born and the day you find out why.” – Mark Twain
- “Your real job in life is to figure out what it is you are called to do.”
- “Find a purpose in life so big it will challenge every capacity to be at your best.”